Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Meet Carolyn Walsh - Generations United Summer Intern

It was at the Crisis Ministry of Mercer County, New Jersey where I learned the importance of intergenerational perspectives.

As a summer volunteer there in 2015, I worked with people facing hunger, unemployment, and housing instability. I helped them by registering clients for the food pantry and also guiding them through the process of picking groceries.

The individuals and families I worked with were a generational melting pot.

They reminded me of my intergenerational connections. I’m lucky to live within a few miles of my World-War-II-generation grandparents, my baby boomer parents, aunts and uncles, and my millennial siblings and cousins.

The ethnic, cultural and age diversity of the families at the Crisis Ministry showed me that many of the major issues affecting our society are intergenerational ones.

That experience sparked my interest in learning about intergenerational solutions to problems.

Now, I’m a summer intern at Generations United. I’m looking forward to working on a number of projects that include researching a Grandfamilies resource bibliography and writing up profiles for members of Generations United’s GrAND Network and Super Advocates.

I’m also excited that I get to attend various advocacy meetings and legislative briefings.

Originally from Princeton, New Jersey, I am a Political Science and Business major at Providence College in Rhode Island.

During my time in D.C., I hope to strengthen my writing and researching skills as well as expand my knowledge of public policy advocacy.

It’s an honor to join Generations United, an organization improving the lives of children, youth and older adults through intergenerational collaboration, public policies and programs for all ages.

Here’s to an exciting summer!

No comments: