Friday, September 19, 2014

Gloria Estefan: In Her Own Words - Hispanic Heritage Month

My grandmother on my mother's side cared for me from birth, and nurtured the thought that music was a gift I had received. And although I was reluctant to follow that path, I somehow found myself involved with music because our gifts are meant to be shared for the good and pleasure of others. We remained extremely close throughout my life, and even after her death I have often found comfort in her memory and the wisdom she shared with me.

My grandmother always pointed out my strengths and filled me with hope for the future. She constantly nourished my inquisitiveness, and shared many quests for seeking answers to my questions. She wasn't afraid to let me see her vulnerability, and made that intimacy an asset to be celebrated. Primarily through her example, I learned that we, as women, have limitless potential. I finally said yes to music because of her.

The most valuable lessons I learned from my grandmother were to discover what makes you happy, and do it with as much energy and joy as you can muster.

No comments: