Tuesday, June 09, 2015

Meet Bonnie Her - Generations United Summer Intern

I’ve witnessed firsthand the injustices toward older adults.

It wasn’t until I took an intergenerational course that I realized the linchpin for that maltreatment and neglect is the lack of understanding that young and old are interdependent on one another.

Prior to my new understanding, I began my college career hoping to one day become a nurse.

Now, I’m a junior at San Diego State University, pursuing a Bachelors of Arts in Gerontology with an interest in intergenerational issues.

I graduate next Spring.

As someone who likes snorkeling, rock climbing and backpacking through Arizona’s canyons, I’m always looking for new experiences.

And this summer is no different with me making D.C. home for two months.

I’m thrilled to be with Generations United researching intergenerational programs for our directory, compiling information and materials for the Grandparents Raising Grandchildren bibliography, and assisting in the research for the next State of Grandfamiles report.

This is a great opportunity for me to learn and contribute to Generations United’s successes.

No comments: